Wednesday, September 17, 2008

...is your mama a llama...

Today it was off to the fair with the rents(the only way to do it..since they pay). It's been a tradition for years. We stuff our faces full of fair food and wander around the animal barns. You know you live in the country when...
Mom and I always get dragged over to the tractor section, where we have to "take a peak" at the inventory. This year they had a guy carving wooden statues with a chainsaw. Interesting.

The fair always brings back a lot of memories. There weren't any rides involved this time...usually when I go with G that's a must(and yes L, I actually ride them). She used to make me go into the fun house....but that ended in high school after I broke my foot going through the stinking thing. Who breaks their foot at the fair? Ding, ding, ding..you are correct. This girl!!! I was with three other girls, so of course the fun house sounded like a GREAT idea!! I was second to last to go down the slide at the end and one of the girls was right behind me. Naturally, I hurried to get out of her way so I wouldn't get knocked out. I got knocked out anyways, because my foot got caught on the stupid rubber mat they had on the ground..foot went one way. body went the other. pop. the sound was so clearly audible. Of course, the girls didn't think it was broken and I can still hear G saying "Just get up and walk it off." Walking it off didn't help...I started going into shock and was about to pass out. They finally figured it was a bigger deal than they thought. I found a bench and someone found first-aid. The woman was a whacko. Apparently, she had found some new miracle-cure-all magnetic apparatus. It had about 6 metal balls that rolled and created a magnetic "force" when smacked. So, here I was, sitting in the middle of the fair, a goose egg on my foot, in pain, and crazy lady whacking her magnetic balls over my foot...hitting the broken bone every once in a while. She was very helpful. Of course, I had to wait for, what seemed like a lifetime, for the girls to go grab the car and bring it around to the nearest gate. They were very nice in accommodating me though. They took me on a golf cart to my car and helped me get in and out. What a crazy experience. Needless to say, every time I'm at the fair, I can still remember that joyful time.

Anyways, fast forward back to today. This year, there was a larger than normal petting zoo...complete with kangaroos, llamas, buffalo, longhorn(or some type of cow-ish animal with horns), and a camel. Of course, they had goats and sheep too..which I fed along with the llama and the longhorn/cow. They also had a traveling "zoo." It had monkeys, a sloth(which is my absolute favorite animal), panthers, an armadillo, and some big eared fox. It was a little weird to see that mix of animals in a trailer...a little sad too. We were saying that it's odd that in this day and age, they can get away with something like that since the animals just sit in their cages all day and don't get to move...especially the panthers.

I walked around in flip-flops..because aren't they the best option for walking around dirty animal barns, stepping in dung, sawdust, and hay?! My feet are filthy and tired....but not broken this year!!!

No comments: