Friday, December 18, 2009

..i have to do what?...

Yesterday was boyfriend's birthday. I took the day off to spend the day with him. It was interesting to say the least. I usually like to do fun things on my birthday, you know..lounge around in my pj's, do some shopping, go out to eat. For some reason, boyfriend thought it would be a good idea to do physical labor on his birthday. And his helper? Me. I was beginning to wonder why I took the day off when he told me what he wanted to do...

He heats his house with a wood stove(totally country hillbilly, I know). Well, heating your house with a wood stove is nice because it's free(monetarily speaking) but there is SO much labor involved with it. Finding wood, cutting it, gathering it, splitting it, stacking it, bringing it in to the house. Not to mention, cleaning all the little wood chunks and bark that fall off everywhere. Anyways, he wanted to go out into the woods, cut a dead tree down, and load it all in his truck. Ummmm....do I have to?!? I just painted my nails. That's reason enough not to gather wood. I also do not have clothes suitable to gather wood. Boyfriend said not to worry, as he had suitable clothes and gloves. Well, boyfriend is 6'5. I'm 5'6. Needless to say, I was swimming. I also had millions of layers on since it was -55 degrees(insert sarcastic tone). It was a scene right out of 'The Christmas Story.' You know, when the little kid can't move in his snowsuit. Luckily, I didn't fall to the ground or I would not have been able to get back up. Anyways, boyfriend cut the tree with his chainsaw, while I sat in the truck. I was summoned to pick up the cut logs when he was done. Note to self, cute polka-dot rain boots from Target are not suitable for winter weather. I might as well have been walking barefoot. Thankfully, the gathering didn't take too long and my job was done within half an hour. Seemed like 3 hours though...

I will not be gathering wood on my birthday.

1 comment:

Kids, Canines, and Chaos said...

So freakin' fun! (sarcasm, of course..)

But at least he enjoyed his birthday. It is, afterall, his birthday.. so he gets to choose.