Friday, July 4, 2008

...independence day...

This fourth will be a little different from all of the year's I spent in the craft. Normally, the fam(or in recent years, the friends) and I would get up early and go to craft's parade. As dumb as it sounds, it was fun..but mostly because it was tradition. L was reminding me of the pancake breakfast served downtown. I never went..mainly because I would have had to get up that much earlier and my parents knew that wasn't happening. The parade was actually pretty good for a little town...complete with horse riders, firetrucks, and tractors!! You can only see the tractors in Southwest Michigan. My boss was telling me about the parade in Severna Park..sounded a little different from what I'm used to..a little more "professional." She said each town makes their own float. I didn't want to ask if there were tractors. Thought she might look at me quizzically...

In recent years, after the parade the friends would go over to the T party...an all day event consisting of good food, friends, pool, and alcohol. After frying all day in the sun, we'd get cleaned up and head back in to the craft to watch the fireworks! Sad I won't be there to see them this year. They are amazing...they don't really compare to any other show I've seen. The town does pride themselves on having the best show...all of kzoo comes to see them. A few years back, the aunt and uncle owned a house that had front row seats. I bet you can guess that was yet another tradition. They'd have food and alcohol(yet I was far too young to enjoy). All of the family would go..this was way back when my bro's were still living at home...

So this fourth, L is making a pancake breakfast for us! I'm sure grilling is in the works..if we get the mouse guts cleaned out from the grill. We're hoping the rain holds off so we can see fireworks. We'll see...

1 comment:

Lori's Mom said...

We went to craft parade . . . it was awesome!!! HUGE tractors. Lots of politicans . . . the band . . . horses, and you've got to tell your boss this one - evan llamas. Did you know those big animals have little, tiny heads!!! And yep, Jim and I were at middle school to flip those pancakes at 6:25 AM!!! Saw all the Parkers . . . your guest is excited about her upcoming visit!! And the folks who bought our house weren't even home this year for the 4th! If we had known that, we'd have camped in their front yard. Do miss that party!! Love ya.